Our top choices among the best soccer cleats for midfielders this year are:
- Non-leather cleat: Nike Phantom GT2, a smooth modern soccer cleat that can do it all on the soccer field. This boot has the DNA of two excellent soccer cleats – the Phantom Venom and Vision.
- Leather cleat: Nike Tiempo Legend 9, an excellent soccer cleat with superb comfort and support admired by some sports medicine physicians. This new model is the lightest Legend ever made. It has a cleaner ball contact than its predecessor.
If you are a midfielder, you have the most covered distance in any given match. And you should be packed with exceptional stamina, whether you are a central midfielder, wide midfielder, defensive midfielder, or attacking midfielder.
There is much ground to cover, and you are expected to carry technical skills that can beat anyone from the opposing team in a one-to-one scenario.
People may say that midfielders are the best players of the game. And it is a strong statement supported by a common game strategy that coaches put their best players in midfield positions.
Everyone expects the midfielder to have the following attributes:
- Dominant in ball possession
- Fast and tricky
- Great crossing ability
- Solid on defense
- Skillful on attack
- Has exceptional stamina that can last at least 90 minutes
- The most hard-working player on the pitch
Much is required from the midfielder that getting his soccer cleats right determines his performance during the game.
What are the Best Soccer Cleats for Midfielders?
The best soccer cleats for midfielders are the most comfortable cleats that can help him tackle the grueling miles he needs to travel for his team.
The best soccer cleat is also a control cleat, which offers an excellent grip on the ground, a superior turning ability, enables the player to have full control on the ball when dribbling and kicking, and releases quickly every time he runs defensive or attacking position.
Most control cleats are designed for the play-making midfielder but will apply to any midfield position, whether defensive or offensive. A control cleat is usually more padded than a speed cleat, so you’ll have more protection.
Disclosure: We provide links to shoes mentioned in our reviews and use affiliate links to earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. This site is an associate of Nike and Soccer.
Best Nike Soccer Cleats for Midfielders
– Nike Phantom GT2 Elite –
Nike Phantom GT2 is an all-rounder that can do anything for the soccer midfielder at any given position. It is a smooth football boot with dynamic traction, designed to give you the power to change direction effortlessly. But it won’t hold you back if you want to accelerate and be the first on the ball. See full review »
Notable features of Nike Phantom GT2:
- An upper made from one-piece Flyknit for an excellent locked-in fit and follows your foot in all directions.
- A unique Generative Texture technology, a grippy texture that can enhance your control of the ball during dribbling and shooting.
This soccer cleat is most suitable for deep-lying playmakers or advanced playmakers.
Note: Nike Phantom GT2 has a wide width. And if you are a narrow-footed midfielder, you may have to go down half a size to get the best fit.
– Nike Tiempo Legend 9 Elite –
Nike Tiempo Legend 9 is a very stable leather cleat you can rely on as a midfielder. In fact, this soccer cleat has more lateral and ankle support than most soccer cleats. And its one-piece k-leather upper is not only comfortable, but it will also protect you from impact injury that can happen anytime on the soccer field.
This new model is the lightest Legend ever made, and it has improved in the speed category. The touch and feel of the ball have also improved with added raised texture on top for extra grip on the ball. See full review »
Notable features of Nike Tiempo Legend 9:
- Soft foam pods underneath the k-leather upper that create a better close-to-the-foot sensation than the previous Quadfit mesh.
- A subtle raised texture on areas where the foot meets the ball for better touch and control.
- A Hyperstability plate, which offers comfort and traction in all directions.
- Mixed blade and round studs designed to deliver more stability, excellent grip on the ground, and superior turning ability.
– Nike Mercurial Superfly 8 Elite –
The models of Nike Mercurial are arguably the fastest soccer cleats when it comes to straight-line acceleration. Although it might not be as smooth as the Phantom GT2 on side-to-side movements, it is one of the favorite football boots by attacking midfielders. The Superfly 8 is Nike’s elite offering.
Notable features of Nike Mercurial Superfly 8:
- A new Speed Band around the forefoot, designed to keep you always locked in and ready to accelerate.
- A higher Dynamic Fit collar, which offers more support around the ankle.
- An Aerotrak 2 soleplate, designed for speed with specially designed grooves for explosive acceleration.
- Chevron studs that provide multidirectional traction.
If you don’t want the higher Dynamic Fit collar in this boot, go for its twin brother, the Mercurial Vapor 14, the soccer cleat that some Sports Medicine physicians say has the perfect blend of comfort, flexibility, support, and shock absorption.
Best Adidas Midfielder Boots
– Adidas Predator Freak.1 –
Adidas Predator Freak.1 is quite possibly the most famous soccer cleat for midfield positions because of its ball-handling capabilities. It is often seen in holding midfield, a position that stays close to the team’s defense.
This latest model looks more premium than the product it replaces. Not only that, it now has a 360° coverage of the new rubber elements on the upper, designed to help you control the ball better and increase ball swerve.
Adidas Predator Freak.1 is one of the best soccer cleats for dribbling. And like the Tiempo Legend 9, it also has a mixed blade and round studs designed to deliver more stability, excellent grip on the ground, and superior turning ability.
– Adidas X Speedflow.1 –
Adidas X Speedflow.1 is a fast and agile speed cleat that can match the skills of the best midfielders. It has a comfortable and soft upper material that feels more supportive than its predecessor, the X Ghosted.1. This new model has the softest upper among speed cleats. It is also more pliable and can now fit wide feet.
The new upper is now made from premium PRIMEKNIT material, which provides an adaptive fit for quick movements. It has an Engineered Agility Frame for stability and structured support in every direction. And a Carbitex SpeedFrame outsole, which enables instant transfer of power through the forefoot.
– Adidas Copa Sense+ –
Adidas Copa Sense+ is not only the most elegant-looking laceless football boot, but it is also a favorite boot by attacking midfielders.
Notable features of Adidas Copa Sense+:
- A unique two medial forefoot studs made from SOFTSTUDS, the protrusions that bend upon impact with the ball, ensuring the most pleasing touch possible.
- SENSEPODS technology, designed to eliminate negative space around the ankle and Achilles.
- TOUCHPODS technology, placed on both the boot’s medial and lateral sides, absorbs impact from the ball so it won’t go through your foot.
- FUSIONSKIN technology on its leather upper for water resistance and improved flexibility.
Note: The leather upper of Adidas Copa Sense+ feels thinner than the product it replaces, which may reduce protection on foot and increase the tendency of having impact injury. In fact, the k-leather on this soccer cleat feels thinner than other leather boots on the market.
Although the new Adidas Copa seems better without laces, if you want a custom fit using laces, go for Adidas Copa Sense.1. However, the model with laces will look less elegant.
– Adidas Copa 20.1 –
Even with the introduction of the new models of Adidas Copa Sense, the Copa 20.1 continues to be a favorite boot among defensive and wide midfielders. Of course, one of the reasons is that there is more k-leather to this one than in the Copa Sense, which adds more protection and comfort for your foot. Plus, some players believe that it performs better than the latest Copa.
Notable features of Adidas Copa 20.1:
- A FusionSkin technology on the upper offers a unique touch on the ball, adding more confidence to your game.
- A welded texture, which increases your control of the ball.
- An Exoframe outsole with round studs for more stability and maximum traction.
– Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 –
There’s a completely valid reason why Lionel Messi, who is regarded as the world’s most prolific goalscorer, would use Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 for as long as he can instead of using the latest model, Adidas Nemeziz.1 (although the new offering is one of the best soccer cleats to try this year).
Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 is a favorite soccer cleat for creative midfielders. Deep-lying playmakers and advanced playmakers oftentimes use it. Strongly built for agility, this soccer cleat is most excellent in ball handling and twist and turn. The upper uses Tensiontape technology, which not only provides structured support, but it also helps protect the foot from impact injury. See full review »
Notable features of Adidas Nemeziz 19.1:
- An adaptive upper construction with Tensiontape designed to ensure a better locked-in fit and barefoot-like touch on the ball.
- A Torsionframe, which offers stability on any multidirectional movements.
- A split plate that offers traction while giving your foot more freedom of movement.
Best PUMA Midfielder Boots
– PUMA Ultra 1.2 –
The Ultra 1.2 is PUMA’s elite offering in speed cleats. It appears to have more volume than Adidas Ghosted and Nike Mercurial models, with comfortable padding in the right places. This speed cleat is so comfortable that it has earned a rightful place among midfielders.
Notable features of PUMA Ultra 1.2:
- A MATRYXEVO woven upper uses technical Aramid Fiber and Carbon yarns for sure support even at high speeds.
- Studs that can deliver an explosive take-off and easy change of direction,
– PUMA Ultra 1.3 –
If you are a midfielder looking for a super comfortable boot with a more barefoot touch on the ball, PUMA Ultra 1.3 is one of your best options. This new model has less padding than its predecessor, the Ultra 1.2, which brings the foot closer to the ball. The surface of the upper has GripControl Pro skin, which grips the ball even at top speeds.
PUMA Ultra 1.3 is the lightest soccer cleat for training and competition – it weighs 5.47 oz only. This all-rounder can take on straight-line acceleration and quick change of direction with ease. It has a comfortable footbed and an ultra-fast SpeedUnit outsole, designed for rapid acceleration.
– PUMA FUTURE Z 1.2 –
This new soccer cleat has already proven its worth that it can match the skills and energy of Neymar. It can also perform very well even if you are the only midfielder in your team. It is built for agility, control, and speed. And is comfortable right out of the box and doesn’t require a break-in period.
Notable features of PUMA FUTURE Z 1.2:
- An adaptive FUZIONFIT+ compression band, which offers optimal locked-in fit and support for any explosive movements.
- A GripControl Pro technology, which offers a refined touch on the ball.
- A Dynamic Motion System asymmetric outsole for traction in all directions.
Another comfortable football boot for midfield position is PUMA King Platinum, the leather boot that has the cleanest looks. It has a speed cleat design admired by the fastest players of the game. In fact, the King Platinum is 0.6 oz more lightweight than the FUTURE Z 1.2.
Did you know that your team has more chances of winning if you’re able to control the midfield?
Final Thoughts on the Best Football Boots for Midfielders
The best midfielders think that they own the midfield and are creative enough to position the forwards for great scoring opportunities during the game and create a constant situation that makes it easy for the defenders to gain ball possession.
Midfielders can easily blend in with defenders and help put up a solid defense to make it more difficult for the opposing team to score a goal. An excellent midfielder is also a goal-scorer when opportunity strikes, not just from the halfway line but also in the penalty area during a counter-attack or an offensive approach with the forwards.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Best Football Boots for Attacking Midfielders?
The best boots for attacking midfielder are fast football boots that can do it all on the soccer field. The best examples of these boots are Nike Mercurial Vapor 14 & Superfly 8, Nike Phantom GT2, Adidas X Speedflow.1, and PUMA Ultra 1.3.
Lem played as a defender for many years. But he is also proficient in other roles on the pitch. During his younger years, he played in major competitions. Now he tests soccer cleats and gives feedback regarding comfort and performance. When he is not on the soccer field, he is on the road trying out new running shoes.
You may also like: