Our top choices in the best soccer cleats for midfielders are:
If you are a midfielder, you have the most covered distance in any given match. And you should be packed with exceptional stamina, whether you are a central midfielder, wide midfielder, defensive midfielder, or attacking midfielder.
There is much ground to cover, and you are expected to carry technical skills that can beat anyone from the opposing team in a one-to-one situation.
People may say that midfielders are the best players of the game. And it is a strong statement supported by a common game strategy that coaches put their best players in midfield positions.
Everyone expects the midfielder to have the following attributes:
- Dominant in ball possession
- Fast and tricky
- Great crossing ability
- Solid on defense
- Skillful on attack
- Packed with exceptional stamina that can last at least 90 minutes
- The most hard-working player on the pitch
Much is expected from the midfielder that getting his soccer cleats right determines his performance during the game.
What are the Best Soccer Cleats for Midfielders?
The best soccer cleats for midfielders are the most comfortable cleats that can help him tackle the grueling miles he needs to travel for his team.
The best soccer cleat is also a control cleat, which offers an excellent grip on the ground, a superior turning ability, enables the player to have full control on the ball when dribbling and kicking, and releases quickly every time he runs defensive or attacking position.
Most control cleats are designed for the play-making midfielder but will apply to any midfield position, whether defensive or offensive. A control cleat is usually more padded than a speed cleat, so you’ll have more protection. And it is a bit more comfortable than a speed cleat and can fit a wider foot.
But with the advancement of today’s technology and innovations, it is now possible that the most lightweight soccer cleats (or speed cleats) can also give optimum comfort that can last for 90 minutes or more.
Disclosure: We provide links to shoes mentioned in our reviews and use affiliate links to earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. This site is an associate of Nike and Soccer.
Best Soccer Cleats for Midfielders
– Nike Phantom GT –
This all-rounder can do anything for the soccer midfielder at any given position.
Nike Phantom GT is a smooth football boot with dynamic traction, designed to give you the power to change direction effortlessly. But it won’t hold you back if you want to accelerate and be the first on the ball.
Notable features of Nike Phantom GT:
- An upper made from one-piece Flyknit for an excellent locked-in fit and follows your foot in all directions.
- A unique Generative Texture technology, a grippy texture that can enhance your control of the ball during dribbling and shooting.
This soccer cleat is most suitable for deep-lying playmakers or advanced playmakers.
Note: Nike Phantom GT has a wide width. And if you are a narrow-footed midfielder, you may have to go down half a size to get the best fit.
– Nike Tiempo Legend 8 –
Nike Tiempo Legend 8 is a very stable leather boot you can rely on as a midfielder. In fact, this soccer cleat has more lateral and ankle support than most soccer cleats. And its one-piece k-leather upper is not only comfortable, but it will also protect you from impact injury that can happen anytime on the soccer field.
Notable features of Nike Tiempo Legend 8:
- A Hyperstability plate, which offers comfort and traction in all directions.
- Mixed blade and round studs designed to deliver more stability, excellent grip on the ground, and superior turning ability.
– Adidas Predator Freak.1 Mid –
Adidas Predator Freak.1 is quite possibly the most famous soccer cleat for midfield positions because of its ball-handling capabilities. It is often seen in holding midfield, a position that stays close to the team’s defense.
This latest model looks more premium than the product it replaces. Not only that, it now has a 360° coverage of the new Demonskin rubber element on the upper, designed to help you control the ball better and increase ball swerve.
Adidas Predator Freak.1 is one of the best soccer cleats you can buy this year. And like the Tiempo Legend 8, it also has a mixed blade and round studs designed to deliver more stability, excellent grip on the ground, and superior turning ability.
– Adidas Copa Sense+ –
Adidas Copa Sense+ is not only the most elegant-looking laceless football boot, but it is also a favorite boot by attacking midfielders.
Notable features of Adidas Copa Sense+:
- A unique two medial forefoot studs made from SOFTSTUDS, the protrusions that bend upon impact with the ball, ensuring the most pleasing touch possible.
- SENSEPODS technology, designed to eliminate negative space around the ankle and Achilles.
- TOUCHPODS technology, placed on both the boot’s medial and lateral sides, absorbs impact from the ball so it won’t go through your foot.
- FUSIONSKIN technology on its leather upper for water resistance and improved flexibility.
Note: The leather upper of Adidas Copa Sense+ feels thinner than the product it replaces, which may reduce protection on foot and increase the tendency of having impact injury. In fact, the k-leather on this soccer cleat feels thinner than other leather boots on the market.
Although the new Adidas Copa seems better without laces, if you want a custom fit using laces, go for Adidas Copa Sense.1. However, the model with laces will look less elegant.
– Nike Mercurial Superfly 8 –
The models of Nike Mercurial are arguably the fastest soccer cleats when it comes to straight-line acceleration. Although it might not be as smooth as the Phantom GT on side-to-side movements, it is one of the favorite football boots by attacking midfielders. The Superfly 8 is Nike’s elite offering.
Notable features of Nike Mercurial Superfly 8:
- A new Speed Band around the forefoot, designed to keep you always locked in and ready to accelerate.
- A higher Dynamic Fit collar, which offers more support around the ankle.
- An Aerotrak 2 soleplate, designed for speed with specially designed grooves for explosive acceleration.
- Chevron studs that provide multidirectional traction.
If you don’t want the higher Dynamic Fit collar in this boot, go for its twin brother, the Mercurial Vapor 14, the soccer cleat that some Sports Medicine physicians say has the perfect blend of comfort, flexibility, support, and shock absorption.
– Adidas Copa 20.1 –
Even with the introduction of the new models of Adidas Copa Sense, the Copa 20.1 continues to be a favorite boot among defensive and wide midfielders. Of course, one of the reasons is that there is more k-leather to this one than in the Copa Sense, which adds more protection and comfort for your foot. Plus, some players believe that it performs better than the latest Copa.
Notable features of Adidas Copa 20.1:
- A FusionSkin technology on the upper offers a unique touch on the ball, adding more confidence to your game.
- A welded texture, which increases your control of the ball.
- An Exoframe outsole with round studs for more stability and maximum traction.
– PUMA Ultra 1.2 –
The Ultra 1.2 is PUMA’s elite offering in speed cleats. It appears to have more volume than Adidas Ghosted and Nike Mercurial models, with comfortable padding in the right places. This speed cleat is so comfortable that it has earned a rightful place among midfielders.
Notable features of PUMA Ultra 1.2:
- A MATRYXEVO woven upper uses technical Aramid Fiber and Carbon yarns for sure support even at high speeds.
- Studs that can deliver an explosive take-off and easy change of direction,
– PUMA FUTURE Z 1.1 –
This new soccer cleat has already proven its worth that it can match the skills and energy of Neymar. It can also perform very well even if you are the only midfielder in your team. It is built for agility, control, and speed. And is comfortable right out of the box and doesn’t require a break-in period.
Notable features of PUMA FUTURE Z 1.1:
- An adaptive FUZIONFIT+ compression band, which offers optimal locked-in fit and support for any explosive movements.
- A GripControl Pro technology, which offers a refined touch on the ball.
- A Dynamic Motion System asymmetric outsole for traction in all directions.
Another comfortable football boot for midfield position is PUMA King Platinum, the leather boot that has the cleanest looks.
– Adidas X Ghosted.1 –
The X Ghosted.1 is the speed cleat of Adidas that also works very well with midfielders. And if you are looking for the best in class barefoot-like sensation among football boots, this is the one for you.
This soccer cleat is as good on the defensive position and counterattacks. It has a very comfortable heel lining that wraps around your heel for a secure fit.
Notable features of Adidas X Ghosted.1:
- A Fluroskin upper with a unique semi-translucent optic designed to hug your foot like a second skin and offers the closest possible touch on the ball.
- A Carbon Fiber SpeedFrame on the outsole for an explosive take-off in all directions.
- A new stud configuration, designed for speed and acceleration.
Note: Adidas X Ghosted.1 feels similar to the Mercurials, including the touch on the ball. Being a speed cleat, it has a thin upper material, making you more prone to impact injury. So be extra careful when colliding with other players.
Some professional midfielders prefer the laceless version, Adidas X Ghosted+, which seems to have an increasingly loyal following. The X Ghosted+ is arguably the best laceless football boot you can wear today.
– Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 –
There’s a completely valid reason why Lionel Messi, who is regarded as the world’s most prolific goalscorer, would stay with Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 instead of using the latest model, Adidas Nemeziz.1 (although this new offering is one of the best soccer cleats to try this year).
Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 is also a favorite soccer cleat for the creative midfielders. Deep-lying playmakers and advanced playmakers oftentimes use it. Built for agility, this soccer cleat is most excellent in ball handling and twist and turn.
Notable features of Adidas Nemeziz 19.1:
- An adaptive upper construction with Tensiontape designed to ensure a better locked-in fit and barefoot-like touch on the ball.
- A Torsionframe, which offers stability on any multidirectional movements.
- A split plate that offers traction while giving your foot more freedom of movement.
Did you know that your team has more chances of winning if you’re able to control the midfield?
The best midfielders think that they own the midfield and are creative enough to position the forwards for great scoring opportunities during the game and create a constant situation that makes it easy for the defenders to gain ball possession.
Midfielders can easily blend in with defenders and help put up a solid defense to make it more difficult for the opposing team to score a goal. An excellent midfielder is also a goal-scorer when opportunity strikes, not just from the halfway line but also in the penalty area during a counter-attack or an offensive approach with the forwards.
You may also like: