Our topmost choices for the best soccer cleats for goalkeepers:
- Synthetic: PUMA FUTURE 1.3, the PUMA soccer cleat for agility, control, and speed. It has a unique locked-in fit around the midfoot that goes with the foot in all directions.
- Leather: Nike Tiempo Legend 9, a soccer cleat built for comfort, speed, and support. It is the most lightweight Tiempo ever made with an improved touch and control of the ball.
The soccer goalkeeper is one of the key players who can influence the outcome of any match, especially when the game has reached full-time as a draw. From the penalty arc 12 yards away from the goal line, any player can have over 90 percent possibility of scoring a goal.
A great goalie can predict and get into position quickly to cover a vulnerable spot before the ball gets there and into the back of the net. He is the team’s last defense and is directly in charge of guarding the restricted area. He also helps in defensive communication with all defenders to prevent the opposing team from creating chances.
What are the best soccer cleats for goalkeepers?
The best soccer cleats for goalkeepers are lightweight and fast cleats, allowing the goalie to take off and change direction instantly. Most goalkeepers go for the shoes that offer comfort, protection, and excellent lock-in for side-to-side movements.
In this field position, a soccer cleat with laces may help keep the shoe fastened to the foot when diving to catch the ball. Since you will be assigned to perform goal kicks, choose a soccer cleat that offers excellent accuracy. Moreover, pick the shoe that fits your fancy.
The Best Soccer Cleats for Goalkeepers
Here’s a list of the best soccer cleats for goalies (in no particular order):
— PUMA FUTURE 1.3 —
PUMA FUTURE 1.3 is arguably the most famous non-leather boot among professional goalkeepers. Built for agility, control, and speed, this soccer cleat can match the fastest movements of the most energetic players of the game. It is very comfortable, and you won’t need time for breaking in.
Notable features of PUMA FUTURE 1.3:
- A second-generation FUZIONFIT+ compression band that offers optimal locked-in fit and support for any explosive movements.
- GripControl Pro technology for a refined touch on the ball.
- Advanced Creator Zones strategically positioned in the forefoot area.
- Reactive Dynamic Motion System outsole for superior traction in all directions.
— PUMA Ultra 1.4 —
PUMA Ultra 1.4 is the lightest soccer cleat for training and competition with an improved upper that can match the barefoot-like sensation of Adidas X Speedflow.1. This speed cleat is also better in performance than its predecessor.
Despite being more lightweight than the Ultra 1.3 by around 2.8 grams, this latest model feels like it has a slightly improved locked-in fit and support. It offers a clean touch on the ball because the shoe is closer to your foot. It’s a skin-tight sensation, which also means it has less impact protection.
The Ultra 1.4 has a slightly improved performance but still maintains the same price as its predecessor. And it has the same ultra-fast SpeedUnit outsole inspired by running spike DNA.
— Nike Phantom GT2 —
Nike Phantom GT2 is a special soccer cleat with the combined technologies of two excellent shoes – the Phantom Venom and Vision. And if you are a wide-footed goalkeeper, this is the shoe for you.
The Phantom GT2 has new interesting features that make it a smooth all-rounder. The fact is, you’ll see this soccer cleat being used anywhere on the soccer field.
This latest model has an updated design of the Generative Texture (GT) technology for better ball control. It has dynamic traction that is amazing on side-to-side movements. Although it may not be as fast on straight-line acceleration as the Mercurials, it won’t hold you back when running at top speeds.
— Nike Tiempo Legend 9 —
The Tiempo Legend 9 is Nike’s flagship leather cleat, and it is the most famous leather shoe among goalkeepers. It is not only extremely comfortable, but it is also very stable on the feet. According to some sports medicine physicians, this soccer cleat has more lateral and ankle support than most soccer cleats.
Notable features of Nike Tiempo Legend 9:
- A k-leather upper with soft foam pods, ensuring a better locked-in fit in all directions.
- A subtle raised texture on areas where the foot meets the ball for better touch and control.
- Hyperstability plate that offers comfort regardless of field conditions.
- Mixed blade and round studs designed to deliver more stability, excellent grip on the ground, and superior turning ability.
— New Balance Furon V6+ —
The Furon V6+ is the most comfortable and the best speed cleat of New Balance. It has plenty of technologies that offer support, stability, and protection for the feet.
Notable features of New Balance Furon V6+:
- A soft Hypoknit upper with Fit Weave technology, designed to provide a sock-like fit and great stability during your fastest movements
- A soft lining with padding in the right places.
- A Hyposkin clear film in the upper that resists water.
- An infiniGRIP shoe insert that prevents slippage, keeps the foot planted, and provides consistent stability.
- An ultra-stable pro-level nylon plate with Chevron-shaped studs that provides a sure grip on any natural surfaces.
— Adidas Predator Freak.1 —
Adidas Predator Freak.1 is all about control. And if you are a goalkeeper looking for a soccer cleat that can give you better control on the ball and the field, this shoe is one of your best options. It also has improved performance and better materials than its predecessor.
Notable features of Adidas Predator Freak.1:
- A 360° coverage of rubber spikes designed to help you control the ball better and increase ball swerve during goal kicks.
- A CONTROLFRAME technology in the outsole that offers maximum grip, power, and control on any natural surfaces.
— Adidas Copa Sense.1 —
This latest model of Adidas Copa is one of the most famous leather cleats among goalkeepers. Although Adidas seems to have made the k-leather thinner to make the boot more lightweight and skin-tight, it has the technology that absorbs impact from the ball so that the force won’t go through your foot.
Notable features of Adidas Copa Sense.1:
- A unique two medial forefoot studs made from SOFTSTUDS, the protrusions that bend upon impact with the ball, ensuring the sweetest touch possible.
- SENSEPODS technology, designed to eliminate negative space around the ankle and Achilles.
- TOUCHPODS technology, placed on both the boot’s medial and lateral sides, designed to absorb impact from the ball so it won’t go through your foot.
- FUSIONSKIN technology on its leather upper to resist water and improved flexibility.
The models of Adidas Copa Sense have a laceless version, the Copa Sense+, which is arguably the most elegant-looking soccer cleat on the market today.
— Adidas Copa 20.1 —
Adidas Copa 20.1 is one of the older models that is still extremely effective on the soccer field. This model is very famous among goalkeepers for a good reason. It offers true comfort, stability, unique touch on the ball, and protection from any impact.
Notable features of Adidas Copa 20.1:
- A soft k-leather upper that can provide comfort and protection from impact injury.
- A FusionSkin technology on the upper that offers a unique touch on the ball.
- A welded texture in the upper, designed to increase your control of the ball.
- An Exoframe outsole with round studs for more stability and maximum traction.
— Adidas X Ghosted.1 —
This famous speed cleat from Adidas is very effective in goalkeeper position because of its barefoot touch on the ball and explosive take-off regardless of direction.
Notable features of Adidas X Ghosted.1:
- A Fluroskin upper with a unique semi-translucent optic designed to hug your foot like a second skin and offer the closest possible touch on the ball.
- A Carbon Fiber SpeedFrame on the outsole, designed for the quickest take-off.
- A new stud configuration for speed and acceleration.
— Adidas X Speedflow.1 —
Adidas X Speedflow.1 has a more pliable upper material than the X Ghosted.1. This model is proof that Adidas can improve an amazing soccer shoe and make it better. And when it reached the public, it became an instant favorite.
Adidas has made a significant upgrade on the upper construction of the X Speedflow.1 without adding weight. It now feels more premium and more comfortable than the X Ghosted.1. Its new PRIMEKNIT upper has an Engineered Agility Frame that helps lock the foot down for better stability in every direction. This speed cleat uses the Carbitex SpeedFrame outsole, designed for fast play and linear speed.
— Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 —
Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 is most famous for its ball-handling capabilities and agility through twists and turns. And if it can match the skills of Lionel Messi, who is regarded as the world’s most prolific goalscorer, it can also be very effective for the goalkeeping position.
Notable features of Adidas Nemeziz 19.1:
- An adaptive upper construction with Tensiontape designed to ensure a better locked-in fit and barefoot-like touch on the ball.
- A Torsionframe that offers stability in any multidirectional movements.
- A split plate that offers traction while giving your foot more freedom of movement.
— Mizuno Morelia Neo III Beta —
This leather speed cleat could be the best leather shoe today. It is the most advanced Neo, and it is only around 5.6 grams heavier than Adidas X Speedflow.1. And if you are a goalkeeper looking for leather material, this is the only soccer cleat you need for all your games.
Mizuno Morelia Neo III Beta has classic vibes but will give you a modern and close-to-the-foot feel. It is super comfortable in every part of the foot with BF (barefoot) knit on the tongue that offers a one-piece feel around your foot. It has a classic-looking outsole (with conical studs), but it performs more aggressively than classic cleats.
If you want a comfortable modern leather cleat with a more old-school design, go for Mizuno Morelia II. This all-leather cleat directly competes with any leather cleat legend. It has the highest grade leather upper with a modern fit. And a classic-looking soleplate (with all-conical studs) that offers a present-day feel.
An excellent goalkeeper can stay patient and composed during the game. And if your team has a solid defense and is the overwhelming favorite to win the tournament, chances are you will perform more goal kicks than catching the ball.
But always keep your focus because anything can happen in an instant during any given match. And one simple mistake can quickly cause an upset where the opposing team can score a goal and retreat to an all-out defensive position until the game is over.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Mercurials good for goalkeepers?
Yes, but the Phantom GT2 may be a better choice because it is slightly better on side-to-side movements than the Mercurials. But if you are to choose a Mercurial, get the Vapor 14 because it offers more freedom of movement around the ankle.
What should goalkeepers wear?
Goalkeepers should wear comfortable, lightweight, and fast soccer cleats that will allow them to change direction with ease. Goalies may be the most stylish players on the soccer field, so make the most out of it and choose the shoes that fit your fancy.
Are Adidas Predators good for goalkeepers?
Yes. Adidas Predators (especially the Freak.1 and Freak+) will give you better control on the ball. They are among the choicest soccer cleats of elite goalies. It doesn’t matter if you choose the lace-up or laceless model, the Predator will perform well in the goalkeeper position.
You may also like: