Our top choices among the best soccer cleats for goalkeepers this year are:
- Non-leather cleat: PUMA FUTURE Z 1.2, the PUMA soccer cleat for agility, control, and speed. It has the most unique locked-in sensation around the midfoot.
- Leather cleat: Nike Tiempo Legend 9, a soccer cleat built for comfort, speed, and support. It’s the most lightweight Legend ever made with an improved touch and control of the ball.
Have you seen a team that had little chance of winning but still won because of its resilient goalkeeper?
The soccer goalkeeper is one of the key players who can influence the outcome of any given match, especially when the game has reached full-time goalless and it’s time for the penalty shoot-out for a match that cannot end up in a draw.
This is one of those times when all of your team members would wish their goalkeeper is the best in the world because of the overwhelming chances of both teams in scoring a goal. In fact, any player has over 90 percent chance of scoring a goal in the penalty arc, which is just 12 yards away from the goal line.
The goalkeeper is the team’s last defense who is directly in charge of guarding the restricted area of the soccer field and preventing the opposing team from scoring a goal. He also helps defensive communication with defenders in preventing the opponent from creating chances. In fact, the goalie must be in constant communication with his defenders because he is the one who sees everything from the goal line area.
But what makes a goalkeeper great? It is his ability to anticipate and get into position quickly to cover a vulnerable spot before an opponent gets there or before the ball gets there and into the back of the net.
What are the Best Soccer Cleats for Goalkeepers?
The best soccer cleats for goalkeepers are lightweight and fast cleats, allowing the goalie to take off and change direction instantly. Most goalkeepers go for the cleats that offer comfort, protection, and excellent lock-in for side-to-side movements.
For this special field position, a football boot with laces may help keep the shoe securely attached to the foot when diving to catch the ball.
Since you’ll be assigned to perform goal kicks, choose a soccer cleat that offers great accuracy and the ability to generate power kicks. Moreover, pick the football boot that fits your fancy.
Disclosure: We provide links to shoes mentioned in our reviews and use affiliate links to earn commission income from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. This site is an associate of Soccer and Nike.
Best Soccer Cleats for Goalkeepers
Here’s a list of the best football boots for goalies:
– PUMA FUTURE Z 1.2 –
PUMA FUTURE Z 1.2 is arguably the most famous non-leather boot among professional goalkeepers. Built for agility, control, and speed, this soccer cleat can match the fastest movements of the most energetic players of the game. This soccer cleat is very comfortable, and you won’t need time to adjust to it.
Notable features of PUMA FUTURE Z 1.2:
- A unique FUZIONFIT+ compression band, which offers optimal locked-in fit and support for any explosive movements.
- GripControl Pro technology, which offers a refined touch on the ball
- Dynamic Motion System asymmetric outsole for traction on any multidirectional movements.
– PUMA Ultra 1.2 –
PUMA Ultra 1.2 is one of the most comfortable speed cleats on the market today. Despite weighing 5.6 oz only, it has more volume than other speed cleats and is well-padded in the right places.
Notable features of PUMA Ultra 1.2:
- A MATRYXEVO woven upper that uses technical Aramid Fiber and Carbon yarns for sure support even at high speeds.
- A GripControl Pro technology on the areas where your foot touches the ball for increased control.
- A Nano Grip sock liner secures the foot and keeps it planted throughout the game.
- A Pebax SpeedUnit outsole with traction built for the fastest acceleration.
– PUMA Ultra 1.3 –
PUMA Ultra 1.3 is snugger than the Ultra 1.2 and is best for players with narrow to slightly wide feet. It’s the lightest soccer cleat for training and competition with an improved upper that can match the barefoot-like sensation of the new Adidas X Speedflow.1. This speed cleat is also better in performance than its predecessor.
Despite being more lightweight than the Ultra 1.2 by 3.6 grams, this new model feels like it has a better locked-in fit and support than its predecessor. It offers a cleaner touch on the ball because the boot is now closer to your foot. It’s a skin-tight sensation, which also means it has less impact protection.
The Ultra 1.3 has improved in performance but still maintains the same price as the Ultra 1.2. It has the same ultra-fast SpeedUnit outsole inspired with running spike DNA.
– Nike Phantom GT2 Elite –
Nike Phantom GT2 is a special new football boot with the combined technologies of the Phantom Venom and Vision. And if you are a wide-footed goalkeeper, this is the soccer cleat for you.
Nike Phantom GT2 has new interesting features that make it a smooth all-rounder. In fact, you’ll see this boot being used anywhere on the soccer field. This new model has an updated design of the Generative Texture (GT) technology for better control of the ball.
The Phantom GT2 has dynamic traction that is amazing on side-to-side movements. Although it may not be as fast on straight-line acceleration as the Mercurials, it won’t hold you back when making rapid acceleration.
– Nike Tiempo Legend 9 Elite –
The Tiempo Legend 9 is Nike’s flagship leather cleat, and it is the most famous leather boot among goalkeepers. It is not only extremely comfortable, but it is also very stable on your foot. In fact, this soccer cleat has more lateral and ankle support than most soccer cleats. See full review »
Notable features of Nike Tiempo Legend 9:
- A k-leather upper with soft foam pods, ensuring a better locked-in fit in all directions.
- A subtle raised texture on areas where the foot meets the ball for better touch and control.
- Hyperstability plate, which offers comfort regardless of field conditions.
- Mixed blade and round studs designed to deliver more stability, excellent grip on the ground, and superior turning ability.
– New Balance Furon V6+ Pro –
The Furon V6+ is arguably the most comfortable speed cleat of New Balance. And the V6+ is the improved version of the Furon V6.
Notable features of New Balance Furon V6+:
- A soft Hypoknit upper with Fit Weave technology, which provides a sock-like fit and great stability during your fastest movements
- A nice lining with padding in the right places.
- A Hyposkin clear film in the upper that resists water.
- An infiniGRIP shoe insert, which prevents slippage, keeps the foot planted, and provides consistent stability.
- An ultra-stable pro-level nylon plate with Chevron-shaped studs that provide a sure grip on any natural surfaces.
– Adidas Predator Freak.1 –
Adidas Predator Freak.1 is all about control. And if you are a goalkeeper looking for a soccer cleat that can give you better control on the ball and the soccer field, this boot is one of your best options. It has better materials than its predecessor. See full review »
Notable features of Adidas Predator Freak.1:
- A 360° coverage of rubber spikes designed to help you control the ball better and increase ball swerve during goal kicks.
- A CONTROLFRAME technology in the outsole offers maximum grip, power, and control on any natural surfaces.
– Adidas Copa Sense.1 –
This latest model of the Adidas Copa is one of the most famous leather cleats among goalkeepers. Although Adidas seems to have made the k-leather thinner to make the boot more lightweight, it has the technology that absorbs impact from the ball so that it won’t go through your foot.
Notable features of Adidas Copa Sense.1:
- A unique two medial forefoot studs made from SOFTSTUDS, the protrusions that bend upon impact with the ball, ensuring the sweetest touch possible.
- SENSEPODS technology, designed to eliminate negative space around the ankle and Achilles.
- TOUCHPODS technology, placed on both the boot’s medial and lateral sides, absorbs impact from the ball so it won’t go through your foot.
- FUSIONSKIN technology on its leather upper to resist water and improved flexibility.
The models of Adidas Copa Sense have a laceless version, the Copa Sense+, which is arguably the most elegant-looking soccer cleat on the market today.
– Adidas Copa 20.1 –
Adidas Copa 20.1 is one of the older models that are still extremely effective on the soccer field today. And this particular model is very famous among goalkeepers for a good reason. In fact, it may even outclass the latest model in terms of performance and protection. I mean, why would the latest Copa have less leather?
Notable features of Adidas Copa 20.1:
- A soft k-leather upper that can give you comfort and protection from impact injury.
- A FusionSkin technology on the upper, which offers a unique touch on the ball.
- A welded texture in the upper, which increases your control of the ball.
- An Exoframe outsole with round studs for more stability and maximum traction.
– Adidas X Ghosted.1 –
This famous speed cleat from Adidas is very effective in goalkeeper position because of its barefoot touch on the ball and explosive take-off regardless of direction.
Notable features of Adidas X Ghosted.1:
- A Fluroskin upper with a unique semi-translucent optic designed to hug your foot like a second skin and offers the closest possible touch on the ball.
- A Carbon Fiber SpeedFrame on the outsole, designed for the quickest take-off.
- A new stud configuration, designed for speed and acceleration.
– Adidas X Speedflow.1 –
Adidas X Speedflow.1 has a more pliable upper material than the X Ghosted.1 and can fit wide feet. This model is proof that Adidas can improve an amazing soccer shoe and make it better. In fact, when it was finally introduced to the public, it became an instant favorite.
Adidas has made a major upgrade on the upper construction of the X Speedflow.1 without adding weight. It now feels more premium and more comfortable than the X Ghosted.1. Its new PRIMEKNIT upper has an Engineered Agility Frame that helps lock the foot down for better stability in every direction. This speed cleat continues to use the Carbitex SpeedFrame outsole, designed for fast play and linear speed.
– Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 –
Adidas Nemeziz 19.1 is most famous for its ball-handling capabilities and agility through twists and turns. And if it can match the skills of Lionel Messi, who is regarded as the world’s most prolific goalscorer, it can also be very effective for the goalkeeping position. See full review »
Notable features of Adidas Nemeziz 19.1:
- An adaptive upper construction with Tensiontape designed to ensure a better locked-in fit and barefoot-like touch on the ball.
- A Torsionframe, which offers stability on any multidirectional movements.
- A split plate that offers traction while giving your foot more freedom of movement.
– Mizuno Morelia Neo III Beta –
This leather speed cleat could be the best leather boot on the market right now, and it’s the most expensive, too. This new model is the most advanced Neo, and it’s only around 5.6 grams heavier than Adidas X Speedflow.1. If you’re a goalkeeper looking for leather material, this is the only soccer cleat you need for all your games.
Mizuno Morelia Neo III Beta has classic vibes but will give you a modern and close-to-the-foot feel. It is super comfortable in every part of the foot with BF (barefoot) knit on the tongue, which offers a one-piece feel around your foot. It has a classic-looking outsole (with conical studs), but it performs more aggressively than classic cleats.
Note: If you want a comfortable modern leather cleat with a more old-school design, go for Mizuno Morelia II. This all-leather cleat directly competes with any leather cleat legend. It has the highest grade leather upper with a modern fit. And a classic-looking soleplate (with all-conical studs), which offers a present-day feel.
Since the goalkeeper is the only player who is allowed to use his hands in handling the ball, he must incorporate acrobatic skills and flexibility in the air to have energy and control of the movement of his body during challenging situations.
And since he is easily the tallest player among his teammates, he should maximize his advantage in the air, allowing him to extend his arms to block or catch the ball.
Final Thoughts on the Best Cleats for Goalkeepers
An excellent goalkeeper can stay patient and composed during the game. Because if your team has a solid defense and is the favorite to win the tournament, chances are you will be performing more goal kicks than catching the ball.
But don’t lose focus because anything can happen in an instant during the game. And one simple mistake can quickly cause an upset where the opposing team can score a goal and retreat to an all-out defensive position until the game is over.
Lem played as a defender for many years. But he is also proficient in other roles on the pitch. During his younger years, he played in major competitions. Now he tests soccer cleats and gives feedback regarding comfort and performance. When he is not on the soccer field, he is on the road trying out new running shoes.
You may also like: